This weekend I will be baking vegan carrot cake cupcakes, to give to my local coffee / cake shop, a bit of an experiment – and I might even share them with my yoga gang during our course on Saturday.
Now usually I would use shop-bought (shhhh!) apple sauce, this time however, as I had a little extra time on my hands this evening, I decided to make my own. I like to do this when ever possible, so I can always be absolutely sure what goes in to my food, and ultimately in to me!
This is a simple recipe and method, so I’ll get straight to it :
Should make about 3 – 4 cups of apple sauce
- 5 or 6 apples – Completely your choice here; pick some organic apples up from your local farmer’s market, or grab some from your local supermarket
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Peel, core and chop the apples
- Pour water in to a large-ish sauce pan and bring to the boil
- Add all the ingredients in to the sauce pan and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, giving it a good stir every now and then
- Blend to your preferred constancy
And that’s about it. You can add sweetness if you think it needs it, but it is actually quite sweet already. I’ve kept mine quite chunky for the moment, as it will break down further when I cook it in to my yummy little carrot cake cupcakes tomorrow!
More of that to follow, recipe, method images etc. But just as a final little note, don’t throw your apple peels away. This is where most of the nutrients are! Find another use:
Compost if you don’t want to consume, Or…
… Make a delicious and cleansing juice :
- Apple peel
- Leftover water from the apple sauce
Give it a try, let me know how you get on. I am always on the hunt for the perfect vegan beetroot smoothie or juice. I have the most amazingly simple beetroot juice (ingredients not that dissimilar from above) from Total Organics in Borough Market. I’ve not quite cracked it yet so suggests are always welcome!
Follow me on Instagram if you like my blog and images