- 1 ½ x cups brown rice flour
- ½ x cup light brown sugar (I use Tate & Lyle as it’s vegan friendly)
- 2 x teaspoons baking powder (this has to be fresh in order for the batter to rise)
- 1 x cup almond milk (can substitute for other nut milks)
- 1 x pinch of salt
- ¼ x cup apple sauce (I use homemade, check out my post for the recipe – http://isitveganuk.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/homemade-no-added-sugar-apple-sauce/ )
- 1 x cup raisins
- 2 x tablespoons Malibu Original
- 5 x large over-ripe bananas
- 1 x cup of almonds
- 2 x cup of pecans
- 1 x cup of brown rice flour
- ½ x cup of maple syrup (you can substitute for agave syrup or similar, but the maple syrup adds to the sweet nutty flavour)
- 3 x tablespoons flax seeds (you can swap for chia seeds if you prefer)
- 2 x tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 x tablespoons Malibu Original
1. Pre-heat your oven to 150C
2. Blend the almonds and pecans in a food processor to form a flour. I had to do mine in batches, about a handful at a time
3. Once all your nuts are blended to a flour, put in to a mixing bowl and along with the brown rice flour, maple syrup, flax seeds and cinnamon, and mix everything together.
4. Peel and mash all the bananas the bananas until smooth, then stir into the bread mix
You’ll end up with quite a wet sticky mixture, don’t worry, this is the right consistency
5. Use coconut oil to grease your trusty loaf tin and pour the mix in
6. Bake in your pre-heated oven for about 1 hour
I use a toothpick or skewer to check my bakes are cooked the way through. Stick it in to the centre of the cake / load, if it comes out clean, you’re done. If there’s mixture or batter left on the toothpick or skewer when it comes out, pop it in for a little longer – this will have to be a judgement call.
I had a slice, ok 2 slices, of this delicious bread after dinner this evening, with a thin layer of Meridians Crunchy 100% Peanut Butter. It can however be enjoyed on it own as it has so much flavour, but always accompanied with a cup of tea.
So there you have it, my weekend spent indulging in Malibu, though not in the way I usually would! Try out these recipes for yourself and let me know what you think. Too much or not enough rum? That’s the important question!
Oh and just to note, I used brown rice flour in both of my bakes, as its naturally gluten free, but you really could substitute for any flour you like.
Come back soon for more vegan recipes and keep up to date with my vegan life in London on my Instagram page – @IsItVeganUK