I’ve always wanted an excuse to have chocolate for breakfast, and actually just recently I’ve been adding just a smidge of 90% organic dark chocolate to my breakfast overnight oats. So here’s a quick and easy “breakfast” recipe for you all. I’ve actually knocked these babies up this evening for a vegan dinner party I’m going to tomorrow night. I didn’t have many ingredients or time, but these treats don’t need much of either.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 x cup of oats (gluten free is you can find)
- Chocolate chips (cacao nibs are ideal, however I mixed things up a bit and used 3 x packets of Tesco dairy free “chocolate buttons”
EQUIPMENT (so minimal, just like the ingredients!):
- A bowl
- A fork for mashing and mixing
- A baking tray
- Cookie cutter, but not absolutely necessary
- Preheat oven to 175C
- Mash bananas
- Add mashed bananas and oats to a bowl and mix well
- Add cacao nibs, “chocolate buttons”, whatever sweet vegan treat you are using, and mix well again
- Grease your baking tray
- Place cookie mixture on your greased tray, about 1 x tablespoon of the mixture at a time – I used a heart cookie cutter to shape mine (though the boyfriend told me they looked like mice heads)
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes
Remove from the oven and leave to cool. You might like to “ice” your cookies with nut frosting or sift cocao powder lightly over them, it’s completely up to you. I’ve also added dried fruit in the past, or perhaps some cinnamon might be to your taste.
Quick and oh so easy cookies.
Come back soon for more vegan recipes, tips, brands and products. In the meantime check out my Instagram – @isitveganuk.