Being a big fan of UK Masterchef (regular, professional and even celebrity), I have been pleased to see the odd vegetarian round popping up over the past couple of years.
Masterchef: The Professionals judge and one time Junior Masterchef contestant (1985), Marcus Wareing’s latest casual dining restaurant, Tredwell’s (opened September 2014), is even more reason for celebration, as he has gone one step further and added vegan friendly options to his menu.
Described by The Evening Standard Magazine’s Grace Dent, as “comfort food heaven”, located in the heart of London, Tredwell’s aims to bring modern London cooking to the West End’s Seven Dials, and though I’m yet to dine there, the menu is certainly appealing.
- Nocellara del Belice olives (Ve) £2
- Harissa glazed aubergine, peanuts, coriander and chilli (Ve) £6.50
- Pumpkin soup, cep toast, toasted seeds (V) £7
- Buffalo ricotta, beetroot, pine nut better (V) £7
- Burrate, olive, caramalised shallot, balsamic, rocket (V) £10
- Butternut Squash and sage dumplings, kale, hazelnut sauce (Ve) £14
- Skinny Fries (Ve) £3
- Wilted greens, roasted garlic (Ve) £3.50
- Green salad (Ve) £4
- Sweet potato chunks (Ve) £4
- Green beans, olive oil and tarrgon (Ve) £4
- Kale, sugarsnap and rocket salad (Ve) £4
- Parsnip & horseraddish slaw (V) £4
- Blue cheese croquettes (V) £ 4.50
- Grilled broccoli, almond butter and capers (V) £5
- Coconut mousse, pineapple, mint, lime (Ve) £5
- The virtuous chocolate brownie, coconut yogurt (Ve) £5
Though there is but one vegan/vegetarian main on the menu, it is definitely one I would pick. With such a vast range of vegan friendly side dishes on offer, I could happily order a bunch of these, along with a couple of starters to create my own tapas style meal, rounded off with a vegan chocolate brownie, obviously!
There is also a prix-fixe menu available at specific dining times: 2 courses for £21 or 3 for £25. Available Monday to Wednesday 12pm – 2pm, 5pm – 6:30pm, 9pm – 10pm and Thursday & Friday 12pm – 2pm, 5pm – 6:30pm, 9:45pm – 11pm, Saturday 4pm – 6:30pm, 9:45 – 11pm, the sample menu on the website doesn’t specify any vegan or vegetarian options. However, after some investigation, Tredwell’s confirmed they be only too happy to swap some of the options for something more suitable for our vegan dietary requirements, which I thought was great news! However please note, you can pick 2 or 3 vegan and vegetarian courses from the regular menu for around the same price, if not less, so make sure your options on the prix-fixe menu are something a little bit special.
As previously mentioned, I am yet to dine at Tredwell’s, but hope to soon, so will let you know if it’s worth giving it a go. Have any of you been already? I’d love to know what you think of a “celebrity” chef venturing in to vegan friendly cuisine.
Something that also appeals to me and is a further reason to visit, Tredwell’s host live Jazz nights every Friday & Saturday evening from 8pm.
4A Upper St Martin’s Lane
London, WC2H 9NY
0203 764 0840
Monday to Thursday: 12pm – 2pm and 5pm – 10pm
Friday: 12pm – 3pm and 5pm – 11pm
Saturday: 12pm – 11pm
Sunday: 12pm – 4pm
For enquiries email email@example.com
For more info follow @tredwells on twitter.